ACDI / VOCA Project Accountant Job in Kenya 2019
ACDI / VOCA
Job Title: Project Accountant
ACDI / VOCA is currently implementing a $45 million, five-year program entitled “Feed the Future Livestock Market Systems (LMS)” development projects in Northern Kenya funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID).
The aim of the USAID Kenya Feed the Future LMS program is to strengthen people’s resilience to shocks and stresses and reduce the prevalence and depth of poverty, household hunger, and chronic undernutrition.
The program aims to do so by taking collective action on economic opportunities, and by strengthening institutions, market systems, governance, and human capital.
Program Background: The USAID Kenya Feed the Future Livestock Market Systems (LMS) Leader with Associates (LWA) program is focused on strengthening community resilience and overcoming poverty, household hunger and chronic undernutrition through: expanded and viable economic opportunities; improved systems, institutions, governance; and human capital.
The Program comprises of Leader and Associate Awards with the objective to maximize local capacity to plan and manage integrated resilience programming and foster collaboration with other implementers to achieve significant and lasting social change.
The Expanding and Diversifying Viable Economic Opportunities in Northern Kenya (AA1) project provides market-based pull by facilitating a more competitive, commercialized livestock value chain for pastoralists that are moving up in the livestock market system and, by creating viable, diversified livelihoods opportunities for those that are moving up or moving out of the sector.
The AA1 design builds vibrant market systems in livestock and other viable industries, enabling households to generate more income within the sector and to diversify into other income sources. By increasing and diversifying income sources, households –with a focus on youth and women– build resilience and create sustained pathways out of poverty.
The three objectives that comprise the pull structure of AA1 are:
1) expanded and diversified viable economic opportunities;
2) strengthened institutions, systems and governance; and
3) collaborative action and learning for market systems change.
Position Summary: The Accountant is responsible for the implementation of accounting tasks, policies and procedures for the USAID-funded ACDI/VOCA programs, including but not limited to the responsibilities outlined below.
The position will be based in Nairobi reporting to Finance Director.
Essential Duties / Responsibilities:
- Oversee financial transactions, activities and monitor financial compliance with ACDI VOCA and USAID requirements.
- Manage the Nolan payroll system. Make monthly payroll inputs into the system, prepare the payroll variance reconciliation and taxable M&IE reconciliation monthly.
- Prepare payroll statutory deduction payments including calculating, withholding and recording all applicable income taxes and other social payments based on Kenyan tax rules and other ACDI VOCA discretionary benefits.
- Prepare accounting vouchers (vendor vouchers), ensure that all supporting documentation (invoices and receipts) are attached and the correct account & project codes used.
- Review vendor payments and verify that every release of funds is backed-up by adequate supporting documents (e.g. quotes, invoice, delivery notes) and has been authorized before submitting to Chief of Party (COP) or other authorized signatory.
- Record vendor vouchers/payments and petty cash vouchers in the QuickBooks accounting system and ensure that the transactions are properly coded per the ACDI VOCA chart of Accounts.
- Record payroll transactions for regional staff and shared pool staff monthly and prepare payroll reconciliations before month close.
- Withhold withholding tax and VAT from vendor payments and remit the same to Kenya Revenue Authority as per the Act.
- Follow up and ensure the Logistics Assistant has submitted to Finance office by 30th monthly Motor vehicle Mileage allocation schedule.
- Prepare cost share allocation schedule using approved vehicle log sheets and pass journal entries to allocate costs charged to the pool.
- Review and verify cash disbursements from petty cash and record the same on QuickBooks.
- Prepare monthly balance Sheet reconciliation for all Liability Accounts and ensure that unreconciled items are actioned latest the following month.
- Assist the Director of finance carry out field office compliance reviews.
- Notify Director of Finance and/or COP in writing about any concerns risks or misuse of resources and report any illegitimate expenses, misuse of funds or other false financial claims.
- Keep all sensitive program financial information confidential.
- Perform other finance related duties as assigned by the Director of Finance.
Education & Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field.
- CPA/ACCA or equivalent certification.
- Minimum seven (5) years of experience in Financial management or equivalent.
- Sufficient knowledge of accounting standards and government of Kenya tax laws and regulations.
- Good administrative and organizational skills; record keeping and filling systems.
- Good problem solver, self-starter and innovative, good communication, leadership and reporting skills.
- Experience with USAID project procedures, policies and compliance requirements are highly preferred.
- A strong command on Microsoft Office Word, Excel, QuickBooks and other relevant computer applications.
- Fluency in English required.
How to Apply:
Please submit a resume to HRKenya@acdivoca.org no later than March 22, 2019.
In the subject line, please include the position title.
Due to the high volume of applications we are not able to respond to inquiries via phone.
Only those candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
ACDI / VOCA is an equal opportunity employer.
Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.