AFEX Executive Chef Job in Kenya 2019
AFEX provides camp construction, catering, management and logistics support to the Oil and Gas, Mining, UN and NGO sectors, in some of the most remote corners of Africa. With headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, AFEX provides international standard service delivery, combined with 30 years of regional operational experience.
The AFEX Team is dedicated to ensuring clients have peace of mind that their projects will run on schedule and to budget, with their personnel being cared for to a high international standard.
AFEX wishes to recruit a competent, innovative and self-driven person to fill the following position:
In charge of all things related to the kitchen including menu creation, selection of raw food inputs, food presentation, ensuring adequate food stock and kitchen inventory and management of kitchen staff.
Responsible for all food that prepared in the Kitchen and helping to maximizing the productivity of Chefs and all kitchen staff.
This position is available for 3 months with possible extension depending on performance.
Key Duties and Tasks:
- Participate and assist in maintaining Kitchen operations to the highest standard and quality by Overseeing hygiene and cleanliness in the kitchen
- Plan and order food ingredients to ensure sufficient stock for 4 weeks menus ensuring right quality and quantity;
- Provide leadership and supervision during food preparation and service
- Oversee the daily operations of our kitchen
- Maintain order and provide staff discipline
- Create efficient schedules and maximize the productivity of both staff and equipment
- Conduct food costing and ensure cost-effectiveness and profitability of catering activities
- Prepare purchase orders and provide guidance on the sourcing of equipment and ingredients
- Manage the relationship with clients to ensure excellent service
- Prepare and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Develop new recipes, improve old menus, incorporate new food ingredients
- Plan menus and prepare special menu items
- Ensure that fresh, quality and nutritionally-balanced meals are served
- Recruit, motivate, and train kitchen staff
- Oversee the reception of delivered supplies and maintain an inventor
- Create food budgets and ensure adherence to the budgets
- Ensure precision in the interpretation of recipes, recognition of flavors, balancing of seasonings, temperatures, measurements, time etc.
- Make sound decision and support the management in decision-making
- Ensure that the Chefs are familiar with the days menus and that the raw supplies are in the kitchen;
- Develop and maintain up to date kitchen timetables, daily shift rosters and attendance registers;
- Make sure that all food leaving the kitchen is checked for quality, quantity, temperature and presentation;
- Ensure HACCP preparedness at all times, seeking input from the F & B Manager and QHSE officer if necessary;
- Ensure the kitchen and food areas are maintained to AFEX’s and Client’s standard of hygiene and ensure that all statutory regulations are adhered too such as hairnets, gloves and uniform;
- Inspect and report any equipment and maintenance problems to the Camp Manager immediately and follow up in writing;
- Build good relations in the kitchen staff sorting out issues quickly and ensuring that all major problems are reported to the Camp Manager immediately;
- Carry out training for all kitchen staff on health &safety standards in the kitchen, technical requirements for kitchen equipment and food preparation techniques;
- Ensure that regular on-the-job training is carried out, so as to improve staff performance and productivity;
- Kitchen administration, including checking the stores and fridges weekly, walkabout with Auditors & addressing issues raised, check food standards and ensure that all kitchen staff meet regulations;
- Support and build direct line staff by setting challenging annual performance targets and strong development goals.
- Work in full accordance with AFEX Group policies, procedures, work instructions and all relevant elements of AFEX Management Systems.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- The successful candidate must be an excellent oral and written communicator with strong leadership and management experience.
- Possesses well-developed communication, organizational and interpersonal skills.
- High degree of professional integrity and strong ability to work collaboratively and effectively in a team based multi-cultural environment.
- Capacity to work under pressure and meet tight schedules under minimum supervision.
- Excellent time-management, decision making, delegation and training skills to deliver against short deadlines with excellent attention to detail.
- Good inspection and audits skills.
- Diploma/Degree in food production or related field
- At least 5 year’s work experience in a similar position
- Experience working in a 4- or 5-star establishment
- MUST have experience working in remote areas
- Must be willing to work in remote areas
- HACCP training
- Excellent communication skills in English and Kiswahili
- Excellent ICT skills
- Good business sense on costing and cost control
- Excellent people management skills
- Able and willing to work long hours
How to Apply
Applicants meeting the above requirements should send their applications and a detailed Curriculum Vitae giving full details of their qualifications, experience and full contact address including day and evening telephone numbers, e-mail address and names and contact details of three referees by Wednesday 27th February 2019 to email@example.com.
NB: Please include the POSITION TITLE in the subject line of your email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.