Aga Khan Hospital, Kisumu
Career Opportunity: Manager – Occupational, Safety, Health and Environment
The Aga Khan Hospital, Kisumu is an Institution of the Aga Khan Health Service, Kenya, which is an Agency of the Aga Khan Development Network.
The Hospital is part of a network of health facilities, which includes Hospitals and Outreach Health Facilities across East Africa.
The Aga Khan Hospital is in an exciting growth phase and has attained acknowledgment of its quality by achieving ISO 9001:2015 certification, ISO 15189:2012 accreditation for laboratory services, SafeCare level 5 accreditation and is at advanced stage of attaining Joint Commission International Accreditation.
The Aga Khan Hospital, Kisumu has Outreach Health Services at Kisii, Kakamega, Kitale, Bungoma, Kericho, Kibuye-Kisumu, West End- Kisumu, Busia, Homa – Bay, Kapsabet, Migori, Bomet and Narok.
The Hospital is seeking to attract interested and qualified applicants to fill the following position:
Manager – Occupational, Safety, Health and Environment
Ref. No: AKHK/HR/OSHE/09/21
Overall Responsibility: Reporting to the Head of Human Resources, the Manager – Occupational, Safety, Health and Environment will be responsible for providing overall technical direction in the implementation of OSH Act 2010 (2007) and related statutory requirements, reviewing, and formulating AKHK policies, strategies, and procedures.
In addition, s/he will oversee the implementation of sound institutional infrastructure for Aga Khan Health Service East Africa while strengthening delivery of sustainable OSH programs for a competitive safe work environment.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare and implement strategic means of promoting the best safety work practices in occupational safety and
- Establish, maintain and develop a safety culture in the hospital.
- Monitor, record and put in place mitigating plans to prevent work related safety risks and injuries.
- Oversee such other matters affecting occupational safety and health, desirable in the interest of improving the
quality of working life in the hospital.
- Advise the Management on maintaining appropriate standards of occupational health and safety.
- Contribute to the facility upgrade to address activity related constraints, patient safety / Joint Commission
requirements and refurbishment of areas as a continuation of the on-going phased expansion approach.
- Coordinate the functioning of the hospital’s safety committee to assist Management achieve the requirement of
the OSH Act 2010 (2007).
- Effectively liaise with Government departments, as well as other key stakeholders as per the OSH Act 2010 (2007).
- Work closely with and support Medical, Nursing, and Facility departments in OSH management system to promote culture of safety in health care.
- Help develop Job Hazard Analysis (JHA) across the hospital.
- Coordinate compliance and commitment to all OSH requirements and regulations across Aga Khan Health
Services East Africa.
Qualifications and Other Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety or any other relevant qualifications from a recognized
- Fully conversant with Occupational Safety and Health Act 2010 (2007), WIBA 2007, Risk Assessments, HS
Training, Audits, Accident investigations and reporting, developing Job safety Analysis and Safe Work Procedures.
- Be exposed to ISO 18001 (Occupational Health and Safety Management Standard).
- Be aware of EMCA (Environmental Management and Co-ordination Act) 1999.
- Be exposed to ISO 14000 (Environmental Management Standard) and the Environmental (Impact Assessment
and Audit) Regulations, 2003.
- Registered by NEMA (National Environment Management Authority) as an Environmental Impact Assessment
(EIA) Expert. An added advantage.
- Possess good communication and presentation skills.
- The successful candidate is expected to spend time in traveling for official work. The work schedule may call for
extension beyond regular hours.
- Ability to oversee hazardous wastage storage and ensure agency compliance, labeling, containment, proper
disposal, documentation etc. is critical.
- Experience in leading climate change initiatives
- At least five years of work experience preferably in a healthcare Institution.
- Applicants with at least (7) seven years’ work experience as an auditor or inspector in OSH will also be considered.
Interested candidates are requested to email their application letter and detailed curriculum vitae with position
title and vacancy number on the subject line, including names and contacts of three references, current and
expected remuneration to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before Friday, 8th October 2021.
The email subject line MUST include Position title and Ref. number being applied for i.e. “MANAGER – OCCUPATIONAL, SAFETY, HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENT AKHK/HR/OSHE/09/21”.
Canvassing of any nature will lead to automatic disqualification.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Please note that Aga Khan Hospital, Kisumu does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process
(application, interview meeting and medical examination).
“Aga Khan Hospital, Kisumu is an equal opportunity employer”.