AMREF Flying Doctors
Job Title: Management Accountant
- Financial Controller – Directly
- Chief Finance Officer – Dotted Line
Physical Location: Inside Wilson Airport, Nairobi
Who we are: AMREF Flying Doctors provides Air Ambulance services locally, regionally and internationally. With up to 1000 evacuations per year and international accreditation by EURAMI, AMREF Flying Doctors has become the leading Air Ambulance provider in the region, operating at the highest professional level. The surplus generated supports Amref Health Africa’s work, in particularly the Outreach Programme and Charity Evacuations. For more information, visit the website www.flydoc.org.
AMREF Flying Doctors is a not for profit company, wholly owned by Arnref Health Africa, the largest international health organization based in Africa. Working with and through African communities, health systems and governments, Amref Health Africa is committed to improving the health of people in Africa by partnering with and empowering communities and strengthening health systems. For more information, visit the website www.amref.org.
AMREF Flying Doctors is seeking to fill the position of a Management Accountant. Reporting to the Financial Controller, the job holder will lead the business analysis function besides overseeing a centralized procurement function in the organization.
Main Purpose of the Job
- The key function of this role is to analyse financial information and implement effective strategies to enhance overall business performance.
- The management accountant will also understand the business inside out and lead in budgetary control and business analysis.
- The Management Accountant will oversee the centralized purchasing function for obtaining all goods and services requested by all departments and ensure procurement is timely, competitive and of the required quality and quantity.
- Personnel Reporting to the Job Holder: N/A
- Reporting Directly or Through: N/A
Other Resources (In Your Custody)
i) Responsibility over assets: The office, office equipment,
ii) Responsibility over data or information: Has access to confidential company data and intelligence.
Key Responsibilities and Main Tasks
- Receiving all the requisitions for purchase of goods and services from all the departments via the Microsoft Dynamics Nav ERP system.
- Ensuring the requisitions are authorized as per the authorization mandate and that there is a budgetary allocation for the purchase.
- Reviewing the request and where more information is required consults with the requisitioner for better understanding especially for technical purchases.
- Sourcing for quotes from different suppliers and prepares a Comparative Quotes Analysis and picks the most competitive supplier in terms of price while keeping an eye on quality and on the technical and financial capability of the supplier to deliver.
- Preparing the LPO to the chosen supplier and presents for approval as per the authorization matrix.
- Where applicable leading the preparation and signing off of contracts with vendors.
- Creating vendors in the Microsoft Dynamics Nav ERP system and makes sure they all satisfy the stipulated criteria.
- Maintaining and keeping updated the supplier list.
- Negotiating with the suppliers on prices and the best payment terms and discounts.
- Ensures procurement processes flow smoothly.
Receiving & Payments Support
- Monitoring the delivery of all goods and services to ensure that items are delivered timely and as per orders and advises user departments of any deviation.
- Receiving and records in the Microsoft Dynamics Nav ERP system the receipt of all ordered goods and services and raises the Goods Received Note (GRN).
- Receiving invoices, delivery notes and other payments’ support documents from vendors and forwards to the payable’s accountants for processing per the payment terms.
- Keeping track of critical pending bills / payments and makes follow ups for payment to avoid disruption on service delivery.
- Ensurring that contractual obligations to suppliers are met at mutually beneficial terms both to the company & to the supplier.
Filing and Reporting
- Acting as the custodian of all vendor/supplier contracts and or agreements.
- Analyzing and reports on all open LPOs and creates a monthly list of all accruals to be booked in the books of account.
- Preparing monthly reports that touch on procurement as guided by the supervisor.
Control, Processes and Procedures
- Proactively looks for ways to do things more efficiently and ways of saving on costs and advises the management accordingly.
- Ensuring that all the control procedures set for the procurement process are always adhered to and reports any deviation to the supervisor.
- Ensuring that there are sufficient stocks of medical and other consumables to mitigate against stock out.
Budgetary control and Business Analysis
- Ensuring company spending is within the approved budget limits.
- Responsible for communicating with management about budget issues concerning their functions / departments.
- Champions the uptake and usage of the Microsoft Dynamics Nav (Navision System) as the sole channel for procurement and claims processing.
- With deep understanding of the business, links operational performance with financial results.
- Preparing the monthly companywide dashboard.
- Proactively looks for ways to better optimize company resources usage and cost management. Act as the link between Finance and operations departments.
- Performs financial modelling for decision support across the company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting or related course
- Certified Public Accountant (K)
- Advanced MS Excel skills
Preferred Experience and Knowledge
- Minimum of 5 years’ work experience in a similar or equivalent role
- Significant experience in or knowledge of commercial enterprise preferably in the aviation or medical industry
- Experience with financial modelling and/or business analysis
- Experience working with Microsoft Dynamics Nav will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of procurement process, policy and system is an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies
- Good negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to exude high level of honesty, integrity and confidentiality
- Ability to exercise sound judgment
- Ability to work within and in a team
Environmental Conditions – Hours
- Work is performed in an office environment with client’s visits.
- 24-hour response required whenever necessary within a 24-hour work environment.
How to Apply:
If you have the passion to contribute to the leading aero-medical and health solutions provider, submit the following to: Vacancies@flydoc.org by 25th September 2020 with a Reference Number: AFD/FIN/09-2020 on the subject line of your email.
Cover letter specifying how you meet the provided criteria and what you expect to bring to AMREF Flying Doctors (AFD) with an updated CV in PDF.
AMREF Flying Doctors is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff to share this commitment.
AFD is an equal opportunity employer and has a non-smoking environment policy.
Feedback will be given to shortlisted candidates only.
NOTE: AMREF Flying Doctors does not require applicants to pay any fee at whatever stage of the recruitment and selection process.