Christian Health Association of Kenya (CHAK)
Promoting access to quality health care
Position: Programme Officer
Location of the job: Turkana County
Site of Project office: AIC HQ in Lodwar Town
CHAK is a national faith-based organization of the protestant churches, health institutions and programmes from all over Kenya which was established in 1946 and dedicated to promoting universal health access to quality health care.
The Purpose of CHAK is to promote access to quality health care by facilitating health facilities to deliver accessible, comprehensive, quality health services to the people of Kenya in accordance with Christian values, professional ethics and the national health sector policies and guidelines.
CHAK is implementing family planning activities in Turkana County under the DFID – PSK led DESIP project. We are seeking to recruit a qualified and highly motivated individual to the position of Project officer (PO) to drive the project activities implementation in the communities and faith-based health facilities supported by the project in Turkana county.
Summary roles and responsibilities:
The DESIP Programme Officer- Turkana County, working under the guidance of the overall MNCH/FP coordinator will be responsible for implementing a range of FP strategies within the designated Faith based health facilities and their host communities in Turkana County for the DESIP project.
S/He will provide technical support to the project activities to scale up the BCC activities, quality FP service delivery at health facilities and communities, with particular emphasis on adolescents, and the persons living with disabilities.
Overall s/he will strategize the Programme activities to ensure that he uptake of modern contraceptives in Turkana county , specifically in the regions and facilities supported is scale-up and particularly with regard to the use of long acting reversible contraceptives.
The PO will work with the county and subcounty management teams to ensure that the intervention taken are in tandem with the priorities and plans of the Turkana county government health department
S/he will be responsible for supporting the FP TWG, and relevant quality improvement structures at both Sub county and facility level including Work Improvement Teams to support the scale up of family planning services in the FBO health facilities with a focus on availing choices at every supported facility. Working with the community engagement, the Programme Officer will develop innovative community level models that support uptake of FP services.
The PO will also be tasked with building the technical capacity of facility-based health Care workers in FP through onsite mentorship and other methods supported by the project. He will be preparing weekly, quarterly, semiannual and annual project reports which will be submitted to the M and E lead and the coordinator of the project. S/he will represent CHAK in relevant meetings at the county, sub county and facility technical meetings.
Essential (or desirable) skills, qualifications and experience
- Nursing /medical qualification (Diploma or Degree)
- The project is looking specifically for a Turkana local person with excellent understanding of the local socio-cultural dynamics and ethos, excellent communication skills in Turkana and Kiswahili language is mandatory.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience in successful field implementation of RH/FP programs in Kenya. Hands-on experience of working in Turkana county offers a superlative advantage over the other contenders.
- Demonstrable skills in rolling out County Government-endorsed approaches that result in improved uptake of services for family planning.
- Experience conducting training and capacity building related to data quality, data dissemination and information use, and other M&E related issues for health facility staff is critical.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform; ability to manage several major multidimensional activities simultaneously.
- Experience working with donor-funded projects.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications (Word, advanced Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Strong writing skills, including writing of reports.
How to Apply
Applications together with CV, contacts of 2 referees and copies of relevant Academic and Professional Certificates should be sent by Email or mail to the contact below;
The General Secretary
P.O. Box 30690 – 00100 GPO,
Tel. (020) 4441920 / 0733-334419
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
The closing date for receiving all applications is 14 days from date of advertisement.