The Alliance is seeking to recruit a Program Associate to support the Alliance Climate Action Lever in Africa and the project Accelerating Impact of CGIAR Climate Research In Africa (AICCRA). The desired candidate is innovative, dynamic professional with a development-oriented background and strong interest in private sector engagement and science management for an international organization. The position works closely with the Team Leader and Deputy Leader for Climate Action in Africa, Climate Action Global Program Management Officer, and AICCRA team. The position will be full-time and based in Nairobi (Kenya).
Main duties and responsibilities include:
· Research facilitation and project management: Supports management of a regional portfolio of projects and activities for the Climate Action Research Area. For example, the person will triage requests for support between the various research teams of the lever and the administrative support units (HR Africa, PLANS Africa, Legal, IT, etc.), helping to maximize the time researchers spend on science and minimize the transaction costs. He/she will facilitate connections with PLANS Africa on budgeting, with GMU Africa on grant opening and monitoring, with HR on contract processing and/or renewing, with PISA on data submission in the M&E, and institutional support systems for science-quality assurance and data/information management. The person will daily liaise with the Team leader/Deputy on overall program coordination. Provides support in the coordination on specific projects, including the Accelerating Impact of CGIAR Climate Research in Africa (AICCRA) project, and other projects of the Climate Action team.
· Proposal management and development: Supports the Climate Action Lever in Africa proposals pipeline by collecting proposals information, connecting with the Partnerships and Communications team to obtain information on partners, and shepherding strategic proposals through the various units and stages.
· Financial and Budget management: Work in close coordination with the Global Program Management Officer to provide information on and monitor the Levers’ funding pipeline, ongoing portfolio and Lever staff time coverage, in coordination with the regional Finance and HR teams.
· External Communications: Work closely with Alliance communications team to plan and execute an internal and external communications strategy for the Climate Action Lever in Africa.
· Partnership building and capacity building: Assists in institutional representation, partnership building; supports capacity building schemes for research teams and partners.
The candidate shall have the following competencies, skills and experience:
- Bachelors or higher degree in project or business management and administration with experience working in interdisciplinary programs related to agriculture, environment and development studies preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience, with proven capacity for program coordination/management, project design, monitoring & evaluation, and external engagement with partners.
- Experience with financial management, and designing and managing budgets.
- Broad understanding of agricultural research-for-impact challenges in Africa; any region specific work experiences and professional networks would be considered an advantage.
- Professional exposure to an international institutional/program setting, including multi-cultural and interdisciplinary working environment.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and oral, for diverse audiences including technical specialists and decision/policymakers.
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills, including Word, Power Point and Excel.
- Interest in and proven editing and proof-reading skills.
- Proof of outstanding communication skills, to be applied in dialogues with a wide array of actors, such as international organization representatives, members of national governments members, research and private sector representatives, experts, and farmers.
- Collaborative yet entrepreneurial, with demonstrated interest in agricultural development in Africa, and the ability to provide thought leadership on a range of agricultural development challenges.
- Ability to motivate others
- Process management
Terms of employment:
This is a nationally recruited position based in Nairobi, Kenya. The contract will be for a one-year period, subject to a probation period of three (3) months and is renewable depending on performance and availability of resources. The Alliance offers a multicultural, collegial research environment with competitive salary and excellent benefits; we believe that the diversity of our staff contributes to excellence. The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer, and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.
How to Apply
Applicants are invited to visit http://ciat.cgiar.org/ciat-jobs to get full details of the position and to submit their applications. Applications MUST include reference number Ref:CL-2844-Program Associate as the position applied for. Applications should be saved as one document using the candidate’s lastname, firstname for ease of sorting.
The Alliance does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). The Alliance also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.