African Trade Insurance Agency (ATI)
The African Trade Insurance Agency (ATI) is a pan-African multilateral financial institution established in 2001 by African States.
ATI was originally launched with the technical and financial support from the World Bank Group and has had more recent support from the African Development Bank.
ATI has grown into a market leader for risk mitigation in Africa, establishing itself as Africa’s primary trade and investment insurer and one of Africa’s largest Development Finance Institutions with an outstanding portfolio exceeding US$6bn at year end 2019.
ATI provides political and credit risk insurance to companies, investors and lenders doing business in Africa.
For over a decade, ATI has maintained an A rating for Financial Strength and Counterparty Credit by Standard & Poor’s, and in 2019 obtained a second A3/Stable rating from Moody’s.
ATI’s membership includes African Member States as well as a number of corporate and institutional shareholders.
Besides its head office in Nairobi, ATI currently has offices in Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
Working at ATI offers unique career opportunities. Candidates are invited to apply for the following open position:
All positions will be initially based in Nairobi, Kenya however we envisage some of the Underwriting staff will move to West Africa.
Reporting to the CUO through the Senior Claims and Recovery Officer, the Claims Officer is responsible for the following:
Detailed Job Description
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for investigating, evaluating and managing risks and settlement of claims.
- Propose improvements in the underwriting guidelines based on claims and other experiences
- Provide technical support to the underwriting and accounts departments in all phases of claims handling
- Maintain records and provide file and data management of losses reported and claims paid
- Provide analytical, and technical support in claims management.
- Put in place a system for managing individual and portfolio exposures.
- Measure financial impact of claims and recommend appropriate actions to avoid, retain or transfer the risk
- Periodic assessment of underwritten risks.
- Provide analytical and technical support on all claims and determine their accuracy.
- Collect accurate information and documents for claims analysis
- Forecasting of prepayments, delinquencies, and defaults
- Project and calculate expected losses for setting loss reserves
- Undertaking baseline analysis of risk exposures and insurance coverage.
- Design and maintain loss reports and monitor claim trends.
- Communicate with clients, obligors, banks and all other interested parties in claim processing
- Review and negotiate changes in policy wording based on claims experiences.
- Prepare specifications for improvements of the underwriting system related to the above
- Organize the filing for over-dues and claims
- University degree in Insurance, Finance, Banking, Law or any other relevant field plus a professional qualification in Insurance.
- A Master Degree in a related field is an added advantage
- Professional Certification is highly preferred
- Competence in English both orally and written is a prerequisite
- Knowledge of French is an added advantage
- Extensive experience with legal documents used in the insurance and banking industry
- Extensive experience with common and commercial law
- Experience with debt collection and claims management
- Expert knowledge of credit bureau data and products
- Ability to provide financial and insurance accounting support
- Over 3-years’ experience in insurance claims management
- Good communication and negotiation skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Outstanding analytical skills
- Willingness to travel
How to Apply:
i) Please submit an Application Letter, Personal History Form (downloaded from the ATI website HERE), CV, plus details of your current remuneration package along with details of three referees to
ii) The closing date for application is 07th February 2020 at Midnight Nairobi time
iii) ATI will only contact those applicants who are being actively considered for an interview
ATI offers a competitive salary and benefits package and a collegial working environment commensurate with other multilaterals.
ATI reserves the right to not make an appointment to the above vacancies, or to make an appointment at a slightly higher or lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.