1. Deputy Director Budget (CPSB 04) (1 POST)
Job Ref: KCPSB/D/DB/01/13/05/21
Terms of Service: Contract
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Director Budget, the officer will be responsible for the preparation of budget and ensuring departments’ adherence to budget ceilings.
Specific duties and responsibilities at this level shall entail: –
• Co-ordinating the development of budget policy, budget systems and reforms.
• Coordinating overall Budget preparation at Sector and departmental levels;
• Co-ordinating the overall county resource allocation in line with the county policy, annual development plan and CIDP.
• Advising accounting officers on budgetary requirements for departments, budget planning and implementation.
• Coordinating capacity building in the budget department.
• Preparing and compiling annual and supplementary budgetary estimates,
• County fiscal strategy paper, BROP, budget execution report, revenues estimates and other budgetary reports.
• Undertaking risk assessment and management of the budget.
• Ensuring the county departments adhere to program based budgeting and capturing the same in IFMIS using plan to budget module.
• Co-ordinating the preparations of the county department’s public expenditure reviews and the sectorial reports.
• Co-ordination of public forums to ensure the public participates fully in the budget making process.
• Control of budgetary commitments;
• Financial evaluation and processing of major policy changes (i.e. changes with substantial financial implications) within Department
• Monitoring and review of programme implementation and taking corrective measures;
• Developing improved budgetary practices and systems within the County Public Service;
• Monitoring and reviewing of financial and physical implementation of projects and programmes and initiating corrective action;
(i) Key Requirements for Appointment
• Served for a minimum of period of Seven (7) years, in similar capacity in public service or in comparable and relevant positions in private sector.
• Bachelor degree in any of the following discipline; Commerce (finance option), Economics, Statistics, Business administration from a recognized university in Kenya and must be a Certified Public Accountant of Kenya CPA(K) and in good standing.
• Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA), Economics, Finance, Commerce or in a financial related discipline from a recognized university will be an added advantage;
• Shown outstanding capability in financial management.
• Attended a four (4) week Senior Management Course (SMC) preferably from Kenya school of Government.
• Attended a six (6) week Strategic Leadership Development Programme.
• Demonstrated understanding of National and county development goals,
• policies and objectives, national values and principle of governance.
• Shown outstanding capability in Financial Management.
(ii) Personal Attributes and abilities
In addition to the above requirements, an officer must have the following qualities:
• People management skills
• Financial management skills
• Policy implementation skills
• Planning skills
• Co-ordinating skills
• Strategy implementation skills
• Ability to articulate and implement County/Departmental Mandates.
• Organizational, analytical, managerial and decision making skills.
• Creativity and innovation.
• Technical problem solving.
• Resource management skills.
• Interpersonal and communication skills.
• Integrity and commitment to producing results.
• Leadership, advocacy, relationship building and collaboration, result oriented, self-driven.
• Appreciation and application of technology in the work environment.
• Passion for continuous professional development.
• Initiative to achieve expected results.
How to Apply
Applicants should submit their applications together with copies of their detailed
• Curriculum Vitae,
• Academic and Professional certificates,
• PIN Certificate,
• National Identity Card or Passport and
• Any other supporting documents.
Clearly indicate the position applied for, both on the cover letter and the envelope. Applications should be addressed to:
County Public Service Board
P O Box 260 – 10304
Hand delivered applications should be dropped at the County Headquarters 4TH floor, KUTUS (Office of County Public Service Board between 8.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m. on weekdays).
Applicants should seek clearance and attach copies or evidence thereof of the updated documents below.
• Kenya Revenue Authority
• Ethics and Anti-corruption Commission
• Criminal Investigation Department (Certificate of Good Conduct)
• Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
• Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
Applications should reach the County Public Service Board (CPSB) on or before Friday, 28th May 2021
Shortlisted candidates will be required to produce their original identity cards, academic and professional certificates, testimonials, clearance and other relevant documents in support of their applications.
Women and persons living with disabilities who meet the specified requirements are encouraged to apply.
Salary and benefits attached to these posts are as per the guidelines by Salaries and Remuneration Commission.
Prospective candidates are encouraged to visit our website:
www.kirinyaga.go.ke for more details.
The Kirinyaga County Government is an equal opportunity employer.