Fairtrade Africa Finance and Administration Director Job in Kenya 2019
Fairtrade Africa (FTA)
We Are Hiring: Finance and Administration Director
About Us: Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella network organization representing Fairtrade certified producers and workers in Africa. It has four (4) regional networks – Eastern Africa; Southern Africa; West Africa; and Middle East and North Africa.
Established in 2005, FTA aims to effectively represent producers and workers within the International Fairtrade System and provide services to them that contribute to the improvement of their livelihoods. The FTA Board directs policy and strategic development of the organization.
FTA Secretariat is located in Nairobi where the operations are in the hands of the FTA Senior Leadership Team (FTA-SLT). In enabling the members to have a strong voice in the governance, strategy and the overall direction of the Fairtrade movement in Africa, the FTA-SLT has the responsibility for directing and managing all FTA resources including employees.
The FTA-SLT has the overall responsibility of strategy development and operational implementation. The Finance and Administration Director (FAD) is expected to be an active member of this team.
FairTrade Africa Purpose: To improve the socio-economic conditions of African producers through increased access to better trading conditions.
About the Job
The Finance and Administration Director will be a strategic thought-partner who oversees the Financial, IT, human resources and administrative management of FTA. The incumbent will lead the business and drive the company’s financial, human resource and IT strategy, planning and performance as well as mitigate possible risks to FTA.
Team: Senior Leadership Team
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Post holder reports to: Executive Director
- Staff reporting to this post: Finance Manager, HR & Admin Manager, IT Officer
Scale Level: Director
Budget Responsibility: Yes
Duties & Responsibilities
The Finance and Administration Director will be a strategic thought-partner who oversees the Financial, IT, human resources and administrative management of FTA. Ensure, at all times, the availability of financial resources necessary to meet the strategic objectives and the organization’s financial stability and sustainability.
This position requires the demonstrated ability to develop long term vision and strategic planning, provide leadership for the organization’s operations, and a high level of financial and operation planning including capacity building of staff.
a. To manage, deliver and report on FTA’s current operations programmer support through a network of regional support.
b. To establish a high performing operations team. Lead, mentor, coach and develop the team
c. To work as part of FTA’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT), refining, developing and improving operational approaches, compliance and systems, supporting the Executive Director to build and deliver the most effective and sustainable development interventions
d. Support the ED in the consolidation of Board papers and liaison with Board Committees
A. Financial Management
- Ensure good planning and budgeting at continental and regional levels and compliance to FTA and Donor standards and procedures. Develop strategies and tools to effectively manage, oversee and report on FTA’s annual budgets, actuals and variance for statutory accounting as well as management reporting.
- Develop and issue of budget controls and guidelines as per board instructions and financial policy.
- Oversee the activities of Regional Operation Managers and ensure appropriate policies and practices are implemented.
- Ensure compliance of the regional programmes, with all FTA and donors’ policies and procedures for financial, grant and asset management.
- Ensure that FTA meets due diligence requirements with regard to development of appropriate policies as well as enforcement of policies with all staff and members of the board of FTA
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Develop strong Internal Control Systems for FTA and ensure its implementation in all FTA’s offices across Africa. Manage the organizations risk by ensuring all relevant policies and procedures are implemented effectively across all operations and programs
- Drive the financial planning of the organization by analyzing its performance and risks. Analyze the financial climate and trends to assist Senior Management in making current relevant decisions and creating strategic plans for the future.
- Advise the Executive Director and the Board on the best investment vehicles for the reserve funds and excess cash flow.
- Manage the annual audit process and internal audits for FTA ensuring that audit recommendations are followed through. Oversee the audit of consolidated
financial statements and completion of the audit report to be performed by an external Audit Company, support the ED in the implementation of recommendations from the auditor’s report.
- Ensure agreed standards and indicators are being met across regions, monitor financial input at regional level is to organizational and donor standards, Compliance check of regional financial activity to internal and external standards, Set and monitor regional policies, procedures of financial management,
- Direct the day-to-day accounting operations including oversight of accounts payable and receivable, and maintenance of the general ledger. Ensure that all of the organization’s financial practices are in line with statutory regulations and legislation.
- Oversee the preparation of financial l reports to internal and external stakeholders, including donor reports and taking corrective measures in alignment with ED and Senior Management team.
- Quality check of project proposals and reports (internal and external.
- Provide procurement and logistics support to regional programmes and ensure effective procurement processes are adhered to.
- Remain up-to-date on best practices in non-profit finance, business systems and internal control measures, and laws regarding non-profit operations.
B. ICT Management
- Oversee the management of the IT environment (Hardware and Software) systems’ ensuring availability of services and fit for purpose
- Develop IT strategy for the organization and disaster management plan
- Give oversight on server back up and maintenance of all FTA’s equipment and make recommendation to the management on items that needs to be disposed or replaced.
C. HR & Administration
- Ensure continental and regional level structure and human resources to deliver organizational strategy and plans
- Ensure implementation of HR policies and procedures at continental and regional level.
- Ensure consistency and legal compliance of country and regional staff terms and conditions and remuneration packages,
- Ensure regional and country compliance to FTA’s policies and procedures (contextualize where necessary) for all support functions
- Oversee human resource management activities including strategic workforce planning, recruitment, employee on-boarding, employee off boarding, resourcing, performance management, reward and recognition, in line with FTA policies and procedures
- Oversee the operational performance of human resource development activities and the creation of a culture that encourages strategic thinking and aligns to the needs of the FTA
- Manage the administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations at FTA
Skills & Experience Required
- A Master of Commerce, Business Administration or equivalent
- A professional qualification in Accounting e.g. CPA (K), ACCA or equivalent qualification
- Over at least 8 years professional experience in a not for profit international organization at a senior level with team leadership responsibilities
- Strong operational management experience and capability (finance, people, IT, logistics and admin), including geographical remote management
- Expertise in IT based accounting, budget monitoring and reporting systems including systems implementation.
- Expert computer skills, including Office, with advanced proficiency in Excel.
- Excel in computer skills (Excel, Word, Finance systems i.e.)
- Proven experience in financial management, formulating and evaluating business plans, budgets and finance policies and procedures
- Experience working with donors and reporting requirements. (EU, DFID, USAID, OXFAM, COMIC RELIEF, CECED, etc.)
- Diploma/higher in Human Resource Management or equivalent
- Working knowledge of Hansa World
- Working knowledge of French
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills. Well-developed ability to motivate and persuade at high levels
- Proven ability to lead and work effectively with others to achieve results
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking ability
- Superior written and verbal communications skills
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to download our job application form (CVs will not be accepted).
Completed applications should be saved in the applicant’s name, and the position Finance and Administration Director.
All applicants should state how they meet essential requirements of the post and include their email address, telephone contacts and three referees with contact details on the application form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any queries, please call +254202721930 and ask to speak to a member of the HR team.
Qualified applicants will be subjected to background checks as condition of employment.
Application Deadline: 17 March 2019
Notes: This job description is intended as a guide and should not be viewed as an inflexible specification as it may be varied from time to time in the light of strategic developments following discussion with the post holder. The post holder will be expected to work to agreed objectives, which should facilitate achievements of the key responsibilities in accordance with the Performance Review Process.