DigiFarm Field Officer
Background: Digifarm is an agricultural platform backed by Safaricom that has a vision of transforming the lives of small-scale farmers. It offers certified agricultural inputs on credit, customized extension services, crop insurance and market access.
Digifarm is accessible on any type of phone through its’ USSD based platform accessed by dialling *283# at no cost.
Kenya Livestock Producers Association (KLPA) is an official implementer of Digifarm and is involved in an aggressive pursuit of the DigiFarm’s dream through provision of DigiFarm’s extension services to every willing Kenyan farmer.
So far, KLPA has championed the DigiFarm’s agenda through recruitment and onboarding of over a million farmers onto the Digifarm platform.
DigiFarm’s tentacles have reached almost 20 counties including; Makueni, Kitui, Embu, Meru, Nyeri, Kajiado, Machakos, Busia, West Pokot, Nakuru, Elgeyo Marakwet, Trans-Nzoia, Migori, Homabay, Kakamega, Bungoma, and Kericho.
The entry of Digifarm to these counties has been possible through a buyer-driven demand for various crops including Sunflower, Soya, Sorghum, Green grams, Maize, carrots, and Irish potatoes.
Position: Kenya Livestock Producers Association (KLPA) is currently seeking for Agricultural field officers to assist in provision of extension services to DigiFarm’s smallholder farmers.
The position holder will provide agricultural extension services to contracted farmers. S/he will live and work at the County level to raise awareness and uptake of DigiFarm’s interventions.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Supervise recruitment, onboarding and geotagging of farmers on to the Digifarm platform.
- Supervise and coordinate input distribution to the contracted farmers.
- Provide agronomic support and advice to farmers on crop production, pre- and post-harvest management.
- Manage the end to end farmer engagement season-to-season.
- Support and coordinate Digifarm programs with other Digifarm ecosystem partners.
- Prepare weekly, monthly or on-demand activity reports.
- Perform any other related duties as may be assigned.
- Required education:Degree or diploma in agricultural Education & Extension, general agriculture, horticulture, soil science, or an agricultural-related course from a recognized institution.
- Required relevant work experience:1-2 years in implementation of agricultural projects offering direct support to farmers.
- Knowledgeable and well versed with specificities of crop production and able to conduct farmer trainings to improve their agricultural productivity.
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English and Swahili.
- Knowledge of local languages in any of the following counties: Migori, Busia, Bungoma, Kakamega, West Pokot, Trans-Nzoia, Nakuru, Homabay, Machakos, Makueni, and Kajiado
- Willingness to travel and relocate to the rural areas as and when necessary.
- Community mobilization skills.
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their applications including a cover letter and a detailed CV with at least 2 professional referees. State salary expectations in the cover letter.
All applications must be sent through firstname.lastname@example.org and should be received by CoB 7th July 2020.
Canvasing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Kenya Livestock Producers Association (KLPA) is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and committed to diversity and gender equality.