The World Food Programme is the food assistance branch of the United Nations and the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security.
WFP’s Food Safety and Quality Unit is focused on embedding a culture of food safety and quality assurance across the organization, from program design across the supply chain to distribution. WFP aims to build trust by adhering to the highest food safety and quality standards and takes immediate action in the event of incidents related to the food that WFP provides. WFP benchmarks its Food Safety and Quality Management System against internationally recognized standards, CODEX Alimentarius, and local and international regulatory requirements. WFP undertakes continuous risk analysis, due diligence, and assurance of food safety and quality throughout its operations and supply chain that continues to enable WFP to respond with agility and speed to operational needs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: 3 years relevant professional experience (managerial/supervisory role) with a Master’ degree /5 years relevant professional experience (managerial/supervisory role) with a Bachelor’s degree in food science and technology or other related degrees
- At least 10 years’ experience in progressively increasing responsibilities in the field of food technology and in food quality assurance.
- Experience in food safety audits and Laboratory operations including training on advanced food test methods, methods/process validation, and food standards.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written English. Intermediate knowledge of French would be an advantage.
KEY SKILLS & COMPETENCIES
- Professional training and hands on experience in advanced Quality and Food Safety Management systems implementation and systems audit- FSSC 22000, BRC, ISO 22000; ISO 17025 etc.
- Strong analytical, networking, and coordination skills with excellent written and oral communication.
- Ability to negotiate with a variety of actors from the government, private sector and other international and UN agencies
- Experience in coaching and mentoring junior staff.
- Leadership, ability to work within and lead a team, strong drive for results, cultural sensitivity
What you will do:
- Across the region, lead the development, dissemination and implementation of corporate policies, guidelines and procedures on the WFP approach to food safety and quality matters, ensuring alignment with corporate, regional and country offices priorities.
- Contribute towards the development and/or implementation of protocols and tools in integrating FSQ into the different WFP operations and programs, ensuring alignment with the existing policies and guidelines
- Establish risk based control measures and prepare evidence-based recommendations for Country Offices to combat and reduce food commodity losses and food quality and safety incidents.
- Ensure that food procured for the region meets WFP specification or relevant national standards in the respective countries through establishment of robust supplier quality assurance systems.
- Support the capacity strengthening interventions of WFP food suppliers, inspection companies, WFP staff, cooperating partners, government agencies etc. for efficient and effective delivery of food assistance to beneficiaries (e.g. through the design, review of training materials and actual training).
- Identify and build productive relationships with supply chain, Program, Nutrition and other relevant units, to support an integrated approach to food assistance.
- Keep current on emerging developments and cutting-edge research on the areas of food safety and quality and/or food product optimization in order to leverage the opportunities to incorporate industry best practices in the Supply Chain.
- Collate and analyze relevant process data/information to inform risk management and mitigation and contribute to a WFP wide view of food technology activities as well as resourcing.
- Guide and supervise junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with more complex analysis and queries.
- Others as required from time to time.
Method of Application
Closing Date : 6 July. 2022