ICAO Administrative Assistant Job in Nairobi, Kenya 2019
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO)
Post Title: Administrative Assistant, ESAF
Vacancy Notice: 2019/16/G 102212
Posting Period: 03 June 2019 to 17 June 2019
Duty Station: Nairobi
Date for entry on duty: As soon as possible
THE ORGANIZATIONAL SETTING
The Regional Office is primarily responsible for maintaining continuous liaison with the States to which it is accredited and with appropriate organizations, regional civil aviation bodies and sub-regional bodies and UN Agencies and programmes.
The Regional Office ensures interregional coordination and promotes the timely and harmonized implementation of ICAO policies, decisions, Standards and Recommended Practices (SARPs) and air navigation plans. The Regional Office also provides technical guidance and assists States with implementation.
The incumbent provides support to the Regional Office including the Regional Officers as assigned.
Specific instructions and directives will be provided by the Regional Director / Deputy Regional Director, Administrative Officer and Regional Officers.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Function 1 (incl. Expected results)
Provide administrative support services, achieving results such as:
- Draft and edit documents including letters, papers and reports.
- Review, screen, log and route documents and correspondence coming in and out of the Office and ensure that necessary background documents are attached.
- Maintain files whether in hard copy or electronic format for reference of the Regional Office on specific, policy as well as confidential issues.
- Prepare official correspondence and ensure timely dispatch.
- Perform general duties such as receiving and screening incoming telephone calls and answering queries in a discrete manner.
- Receive and assist visitors making sure that necessary arrangements are made for entry into United Nations compound, and all necessary documents for meetings are provided, as required.
Function 2 (incl. Expected results)
Coordinate travel arrangement, achieving such results as:
- Coordinate with relevant Units, States/Administrations, Organizations on the programme of visit, develop and finalize programme of visit in consultation with supervisor.
- In consultation with the relevant States/Stakeholders, arrange for visas and hotel bookings in line with the established rules and procedures.
- Process mission travel requests for Regional Officers and external experts in accordance with the prescribed practice and procedures.
- Process security clearance for Regional Officers and external Experts.
- Process travel claims in a timely manner.
- Support the Administrative Assistant in making air ticket reservations and preparing travel authorizations as required.
- Assist supervisor in the preparation of mission documentation and submission of the reports on schedule
Function 3 (incl. Expected results)
Provide administrative support for meetings, achieving such results as:
- Coordinate the preparations and conduct of events (workshops and meetings), including participant registration, coordination with external organizers and preparation of necessary documentation.
- Assist with the booking of venues for meetings according to ICAO procurement rules and regulations.
- Arrange and supervise catering services and other supplies for meetings in Nairobi.
- Provide other administrative support as may be required, such as transport for participants, clearance for entry into UN compound and commissary access.
Function 4 (incl. Expected results)
Prepares periodic report and briefing documents, achieving such results as:
- Coordinate with officers concerned on inputs for mission reports, as per prescribed schedule.
- Compile, edit and finalize reports for submission in a timely manner.
- Prepare PowerPoint presentations for briefings and meetings, in accordance with the established format.
- Research, collate and prepare briefing documents for officers, as required
Function 5 (incl. Expected results)
- Performs other related duties, as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Completion of secondary education, preferably with additional formal training in administration, office management, secretarial studies, or a related field.
- Diploma or College Studies in Business Management or related field.
- At least five years of progressively responsible experience in office administration in a public or private administration.
- Experience working in a multi-national and multi-cultural environment.
- Experience in records management, maintenance of records and files, and competency in modern office technology.
- Experience in administrative policies, protocol and procedures of the UN or large multinational organization.
- Experience in dealing with high level officials, government representatives or senior executives from States.
- Fluent reading, writing and speaking abilities in English.
- Knowledge of any other languages of the Organization (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish).
1. Professionalism: Good knowledge of ICAO’s activities, practices and procedures, particularly the administrative functions and structure of the Organization. Strong computer skills. Good knowledge of commonly used MS Office applications including, but not limited to, word, spread sheet and PowerPoint presentation. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
2. Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
3. Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
4. Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
5. Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients ” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
It should be noted that this post is to be filled on a fixed-term basis for an initial period of three years (first year is probationary for an external candidate). In order to be eligible for this contract type, candidates must be of Kenyan nationality.
ICAO staff members are international civil servants subject to the authority of the Secretary General and may be assigned to any activities or offices of the Organization within the duty station.
ICAO staff members are expected to conduct themselves in a manner befitting their status as international civil servants. The Standards of Conduct for the International Civil Service adopted by ICAO, which are applicable to all staff members, are defined in the ICAO Service Code (Staff Regulations).
ICAO offers an attractive benefit package to its employees in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission (ICSC).
The statutory retirement age for staff entering or re-entering service after 1 January 2014 is 65.
For external applicants, only those who are expected to complete a term of appointment will normally be considered.
Net Base Salary per annum: KES 1469306
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates must complete an on-line application form.
To apply, please visit ICAO’s e-Recruitment website at: https://careers-new.icao.int/
NOTICE TO CANDIDATES
ICAO does NOT charge any fees or request money from candidates at any stage of the selection process, nor does it concern itself with bank account details of applicants. Requests of this nature allegedly made on behalf of ICAO are fraudulent and should be disregarded.