IOM Regional Support Assistant Job in Nairobi, Kenya 2019
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
Position Title: Regional Support Assistant
Vacancy No: IOMRONBO/VN/002/2019
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade G5
Type of Appointment: One Year Fixed Term Contract, with possibility of Extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: March 10, 2019
Organizational Context and Scope: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the UN Migration Agency. With 166 member states it is committed to the principle that humane and orderly migration benefits migrants and society.
Established in 1951 and now active in over 400 field locations worldwide, IOM works with partners, government and civil society to:
1. Assist in meeting the operational challenges of migration and mobility
2. Advance understanding of migration issues
3. Encourage social and economic development through migration; and
4. Uphold the human dignity and well-being of migrants and mobile populations.
IOM’s Regional Office for the East and Horn of Africa supports and monitors the following countries: Burundi, Djibouti, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda.
Through a team of specialists, the Regional Office supports the development, implementation, monitoring, reporting and evaluation of projects and initiatives undertaken by country offices and regional programmes.
Under overall supervision of the Senior Regional Resource Management Officer, and under the direct supervision of the Regional Resource Management Officer, the incumbent will work to provide effective support to the eight Regional Thematic Specialists (RTSs) in IOM Nairobi Regional Office.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
In particular, the incumbent will undertake the tasks outlined below:
1. Provide administrative and logistical support to RTSs including travel, procurement and organizing of workshops
2. Review all narrative donor reports to ensure compliance with IOM reporting criteria and allocate reports to relevant RTS for technical review;
3. Track reports submitted to the Regional Office, deadlines, review and final submission to donor by regularly updating the Regional Office Project Matrix;
4. Support RTSs develop projects by performing research on a broad range of subjects relevant to IOM’s programme activities; and prepare draft reports and
5. Support tracking and monitoring of projects in partnership with M&E Officer and RTSs
6. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
1. University degree in Social Sciences or an applicable discipline; An Advanced University degree is an advantage.
1. At least three years working experience with UNs and/or International NGOs on research or project development, reporting or donor fundraising and donor reporting
2. Excellent writing and communication skills; ability and proven track record to prepare and present clear and concise papers and reports in English
3. Strong analytical and creative thinking skills;
4. High computer literacy; familiarity with standard word processing, spreadsheet, database, publishing, internet research, and e-mail communication;
5. Personal commitment, flexibility, efficiency and drive for results; ability to perform research and make effective decisions under time pressure;
6. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds.
- Excellent command of the English language (oral and written)
- Proficiency in French will be an advantage.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Inclusion & respect for diversity – Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences
- Integrity & transparency – Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct
- Professionalism – Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgement in meeting day-to-day challenges
- Teamwork – Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results
- Delivering results – Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner
- Managing & sharing knowledge – Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate
- Accountability – Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication – Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered.
In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply:
Submit a motivational letter and updated CV, including daytime telephone and e-mail contact to:
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
RO Human Resources Department;
send via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing Date: 10th March 2019
Only Shortlisted Applicants will be contacted.
NO FEE: The International Organization for Migration (IOM) does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, process or training). IOM does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank details.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and External candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.