IPA DSKUS Project Field Officers Jobs in Nairobi, Kenya 2019
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Position: Field Officer – Demand for Sanitation in Kenyan Urban Slums (DSKUS) Project – Nairobi
Reporting To: Associate Field Manager
Start Date: 11th March 2019
Duration: 1 Month
Deadline to Apply: 01st March 2019
Eligibility: Position open to local Kenyan hires only.
About Innovations for Poverty Action: Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is an international non-profit research organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
IPA works in partnership with development partners and academic researchers to create and evaluate approaches potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations in the fields of health, education, microfinance, governance and agriculture. We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
About the Project: Demand for Sanitation in Urban Slums project`s primary research objective is to evaluate the effect that connection subsidies and a hygiene awareness campaign have on demand for sanitation in the informal settlements of Nairobi, Kenya.
Other barriers to connection take up, such as collective action issues in multi-household compounds and resident versus non-resident landlords will be studied. Results of this study will be used to inform pricing of subsidy schemes for sewer connections globally.
Combined with added knowledge about the effect of information and awareness campaigns, the goal of this study is to determine cost effective policies to improve connectivity and usage of sewage systems in the developing world.
About the Position: The Field Officer under the general supervision of the Associate Field Manager and within the limits of Innovations for Poverty Action-Kenya policies will assist to coordinate and facilitate survey field activities and functions.
Below is a list of some of the general duties and responsibilities of the Field Officer, to be carried out as needed according to the determination of the Associate/Field
Manager / Research Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prompt arrival at work
- Data collection on SurveyCTO: Assist with translations, piloting surveys and actual data collection.
- Ensure proper respondent screening for eligibility and administration of informed consent.
- Administer follow up surveys with landlords, caretakers or tenants in compounds which receive services from NCWSC.
- Providing feedback during debriefs on field operations and survey instruments that will inform and monitor improvements in project operations.
- Ensure data integrity is always maintained and minimize errors in survey administration
- Completion of scheduled activities each day in a timely manner including keeping logs of work accomplished and call backs as assigned by SFO and project management.
- Interact with community members with the highest level of integrity and understanding.
- Assist in daily electronic devices maintenance and storage
- Other tasks as assigned by the project management
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in social sciences, public policy, or related fields.
- 2-3 years of field research experience with extensive experience implementing data collection.
- Prior work experience in data collection using SurveyCTO or other electronic platforms
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated experience in data collection at various levels (planning, piloting and main data collection)
- Previous experience in translation and survey administration.
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently and team player
- Strong communication skills with fluency in Kiswahili and English
- Demonstrated ability in community sensitization.
- Experience in conducting quantitative research.
- Experience in developing work plan, survey tracking and reporting.
- Previous experience working in Nairobi`s informal settlements.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Field Officer DSKUS Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant.