Job Title: Research Manager
Background: Jacaranda Health is a non-profit organization focused on ensuring that all women and their families have access to affordable, high quality and patient-centered maternal and newborn healthcare. Our maternity hospital serves women peri-urban Nairobi, and has achieved international recognition as a provider of high-quality care.
Jacaranda Health’s non-profit arm, however, partners with government facilities to adapt tools for impact in the public sector. Our program partnerships with mission and public facilities have grown from 3 facilities in 2015, to 150 facilities serving over 100,000 women and babies across 5 counties in 2019.
We currently run two large programs which focus on increasing health-seeking behavior amongst pregnant women/new moms and improving provider knowledge and skills to handle emergency obstetrics, with integrated research and design projects within each.
Our key metrics include:
- Increasing antenatal care attendance, postpartum care-seeking, skilled delivery care, postpartum family planning uptake, exclusive breastfeeding for 6 months, and knowledge of danger signs amongst pregnant women/new mothers
- Decreasing rates of maternal and neonatal mortality through proper management of delivery and immediate postpartum/newborn care, as well as through facility-level quality improvements
Please visit www.jacarandahealth.org for more details.
Job Summary: Jacaranda Health is seeking a Research Manager to oversee high-quality project implementation, management of team resources, and provide leadership on utilization of incoming data. The manager will be a key focal point for program teams, making sure all parties stay up to date on the project, have efficient and quality processes, and have input into design and implementation.
- Provide coordination and oversight for a 3-year USAID-funded implementation research project, including managing activities in two informal settlements, recording implementation learnings, and liasing with external partners (i.e. county government, USAID, and sub-contractors)
- Manage a randomized control trial testing the effect of SMS on exclusive breastfeeding rates in Kiambu County Study. Oversee external evaluation, data quality, contribute to publications, and create recommendations for next steps
- Actively participate in the leadership team of Jacaranda Health, providing informed opinions for strategic direction, internal culture-building, and operations
- Oversees data collection, analysis (using statistical software), and monitoring for his/her programs, and providing key insights and reports for donors
- Contributes to grant-writing, fundraising, and program expansion
- Masters Degree in Public Health (MPH, MSC) or related field
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in project management including supervising teams
- Proficient in computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Drive
- Experience with statistical data analysis in STATA or similar program
- Experience working with the Kenya MOH and/or county governments
- Experience with grant-writing and reporting to international donors/funders
- Demonstrated high level written and verbal communication skills including reports and advice for key internal and external partners.
What would get us excited?
- Fluency in Kiswahili
- Experience working with NGOs implementing health programs
- Data analytics skills and ability to utilize data for decision-making
- Knowledge or experience of mobile health programs
- Experience with research design, analysis, and publishing in academic journals
- Experience working in informal settlements
Contract Period: This position is expected to be a contract of 12 months, based in Nairobi with up to 20% travel
Interested candidates should apply through this link: https://my.hirehive.io/jacaranda-health/jobs/56135/research-manager-nairobi
No hard copies required or accepted.
Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.