Jacaranda Maternity Clinical Educator Job in Kenya 2020
Job Title: Clinical Educator
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer with a dotted line to Consultant Obstetrician / Gynecologist
Department: Clinical Operations
Purpose / Objective: The position is responsible for providing leadership for professional development and implementation of programs and support services that enhance the theoretical knowledge and clinical practice of the clinical workforce.
This includes the planning and development of education and training programs that complement the development and review of policy and procedures with a strong focus on evidenced-based practice.
The incumbent will be accountable for the development, coordination and evaluation of consistent clinical practice, policies, protocols and procedures that are competency based.
In addition, he/she will be responsible for clinical staff induction and continuous orientation to ensure quality of practice is upheld as well as the right culture is infused.
About Jacaranda Maternity: Jacaranda Maternity is redesigning the future of healthcare in East Africa. Our hospital in Nairobi is changing the way maternal healthcare is provided by developing better ways to provide high-quality, dignified, patient-centred care at affordable prices.
We have won global and local recognition, including from the Centre for Health Market Innovations, the Gates Foundation, Savings Lives at Birth, and Innovations in Healthcare – and our facilities have been independently rated as among the highest quality in Kenya.
Our values play a large role in helping shape the quality of care we provide:
- Uncompromising Quality – we aim to set a gold standard for quality of care and measure ourselves constantly against our goals.
- Teamwork and Openness – leverage strength in unity and diversity to create an environment where we work as a team and have open, direct and transparent conversations.
- Initiative – we do what we must do to get the results we need while maintaining quality of care and dignity for our clients
- Continuous Improvement- we do, we fail, we repeat. Our actions are guided by evidence, and as we forge a new path, we know that there is always a better way to provide exceptional service
- Sustainability – we do what we can so that we grow sustainably and provide more impact to more communities
We have big ambitions and we are looking for people who will adhere to these values and have the highest work ethics.
Will you join us and help transform maternal and newborn healthcare in East Africa?
What You Will Do
- Develop comprehensive clinical induction programs, review and update them regularly
- Be directly involved in nursing practice by providing patient care in the wards
- Provide leadership in the development, implementation, and evaluation of standards of practice
- Plan and implement internal education programs on relevant topics across all cadres
- Actively participate in performance improvement programs to identify learning needs of the staff, work proactively to cater to these needs within the approved budget
- Collaborate with other health care disciplines within the hospital, community and consultants to develop and implement educational programs
- Provide consultation to nursing staff and other health care professionals
- Maintain practice excellence by utilizing practice opportunities for own professional growth and attending educational activities as needed
- Demonstrate professional commitment through membership in specialty organizations
- Assist with ongoing staff performance evaluations and direct staff toward achieving optimum professional development. Participate actively in review of feedback from clinical teams and use this to conduct a training needs analysis
- Actively participate in recruitment of clinical staff as part of the technical team to include the orientation program for all staff
- Provide insights to senior management team on effectiveness of learning and development programs
- Actively participate in Root Cause Analysis and be the lead in implementation of resolutions made
- Provide general oversight role in clinical practice and work closely with clinical leadership to maintain standards of care
- Ensure weekly drills and case reviews are conducted with the assistant of the charge nurses
- Degree in Nursing, Clinical Education, Clinical Medicine & Surgery or relevant field, Master’s Degree in same field is highly desirable with certificates of PRONTO, TOT, BLS & ACLS
- Minimum of 7 years as a general nurse or clinical officer, with at least 5 years midwifery experience or experience in a busy maternity ward
- Proficient in PC based computer skills including Excel & PowerPoint.
- Experience using an ERP is desirable
Knowledge & Skills
- Leadership skills involving change management, motivational and team development skills together with the ability to apply complex problem- solving strategies.
- Ability to develop, coordinate, deliver and evaluate education and training programs that incorporate contemporary adult learning principles.
- Ability to interpret and facilitate the implementation of policy/guidelines and evidence-based practice.
Interested candidates should send their application cover letters and CVs to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Clinical Educator
Deadline: January 10th 2020
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.