KANCO Internal Auditor Job in Kenya 2019
Job Vacancy: Internal Auditor – Nairobi
KANCO is regional membership network of organizations including: Non-Governmental Organization (NGOs), Community Based Organization (CBOs), Faith Based Organization (FBOs), Private Sector, Research and Learning Institutions responding to HIV & AIDS and TB in Kenya.
Its mission is to provide leadership, promote collaboration and enhance capacity among Civil Society organizations (CSOs) and other stakeholders to respond to HIV & AIDS, TB other public Health concerns at community level.
Guided by the vision of healthy people, empowered communities, over time KANCO has evolved to become a premier agency for sensitizing, mobilizing and promoting collaboration among civil society organizations (CSOs) working in the region.
KANCO is recruiting An Internal Auditor – Nairobi.
S/he will is responsible for providing leadership in planning and management of internal audit, assurance, quality internal control and standardisation of systems, processes and activities at KANCO; ensuring adherence to policy prudent reporting requirements, cost management, internal controls, compliance, risk management and corporate governance which aims at contribution to the proper, economic and effective use of resources.
Leadership and Strategic Management
- Provide overall leadership and accountability of Internal Audit processes and procedures.
- Develop and implement strategic plans, business plans, management plans, and systems, processes and structures for the unit.
- Develop and implement and undertake periodic review of budgets, operational plans, (work plans and activity schedules etc) that support effective service delivery at KANCO.
- Schedule, prepare and avail accurate and timely reports, minutes and other documents for Board Audit Committee meetings.
- Regularly provide senior management and the board with an opinion on the adequacy, effectiveness and efficiency of the internal controls in the organization.
- Conduct periodic awareness/training sessions to sensitize senior management, staff on their roles in implementation of policy and risk management, promoting an internal audit culture across the organization.
Internal Audit Activities
- Develop annual audit plans and programs detailing the scope, nature and timing of the internal audit activities and other offsite auditees.
- Carry out internal audit tests in the audit program to assess compliance to the organization policies and procedures, documenting the results of each test, while ensuring clear internal audit trails exist for external audit.
- Discuss interim audit findings with auditees for clarity and ownership.
- Write audit reports documenting areas of non-compliance.
- Send audit reports to the Executive Director and Board as appropriate, for action.
- Actively monitor and provide feedback to senior management and the Board, as appropriate on the timely implementation of management or Board recommendations following audit reports.
- Carry out regular and periodic internal audit activities as per work plans and activity schedules.
- Actively monitor and provide feedback to senior management and the board as appropriate on the timely implementation of management or board recommendations of fraud prevention measures.
- Regularly report to the Board on significant areas of non-compliance to organizational policy or internal controls.
- Regular review the conflict of interest policy to ascertain its adequacy, assess compliance levels and carry out reviews to ascertain that a conflict of interest policy exists.
Support in Review and Implementation of Organisational Policies, Policies and Structures
- Develop and implement Internal Audit departmental policies and procedures
- Offer timely support to each function in development and review of departmental policies and procedures at KANCO.
- Ensure that all organization’s policies and procedures are adequately approved and ratified senior management and the Board as appropriate.
- Prepare and submit update reports to senior management and the Board on the update on the status of all department policies and procedures.
- Manage the process of identifying organization key risk areas and develop mitigation frameworks to address them.
- Oversee the process of conducting annual organization-wide risk assessments to measure the likelihood and impact of identified risks, i.e. developing parameters, methods, and tools for evaluating, categorizing, and prioritizing risks- likelihood, risk consequence, and thresholds to trigger management action.
- Support in the development of the organization’s risk mitigation strategy/plan, proposing appropriate controls including the scope of management and other individual accountability and a monitoring plan, to ensure the implementation of the strategy/ plan.
- Responsible for preparing and submitting quarterly reports to the Board on risk management issues including the risk register and on emerging risks.
- Send quarterly updates to senior management on the implementation of organizational risk management strategy/ plan.
Support to Sub-Grants Support
- Provide technically support in development and review/improvement of guidelines for the management of sub-grant activities
- Support sensitization/training of sub grantees on the organization sub grant management guidelines, clearly explaining to them the standards of accountability expected of them.
- Responsible for developing and implementing plans for follow up of sub grantee audit report actions.
- Undertake regular review and evaluate the adequacy of accountabilities presented by sub-grantees.
- Send regular reports on activity areas that require improvement in terms of accountability for funds
- Confirm that the planned activities (service delivery, procurement, distribution, storage, infrastructural improvements, etc.) are carried out efficiently and effectively – there is value for money
- Identify gaps and weakness faced in the implementation of the sub grant activities by sub-grantees and make recommendations to improve or address the gaps identified in audits and follow up to ensure audit actions are being implemented.
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the following areas: Accounting, Finance, Business or any related field from a recognized University.
- At least Eight (8 years’ experience in a similar position preferably in an NGO environment.
- Professional Qualifications CPA Part (K).
Competencies / Abilities / Skills Required
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent computer skills including proficiency in accounting packages such as Quick-books, Pastel etc.
- Strong report writing skills
- Strong coordination skills
- Auditing skills
- Skilled in the use of standard business software
- Have strong influencing and leadership skills
- Have excellent planning, organisational and time management skills
- Strong analytical skills, attention to details and problem solving skills.
- Be resilient and able to work well under pressure, prioritise a heavy workload and work both reactively and pro-actively
- Have a strategic outlook with the ability to drive change where necessary
- Have experience of motivating & developing teams – including performance management & appraisals
- Have a high degree of integrity, tact, diplomacy and corporate spirit
- Have a hands on approach and be a team player
- Thorough understanding of Donor financial guidelines and regulations and sound judgment in applying them to diverse field based operations.
- Sound understanding of and ability to use accounting software and the MS office suite of applications with emphasis on MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, Internet and e-mail.
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective team player.
- Good capacity building skills which includes facilitation and training.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong networking and relationship building skills.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and CV before 17th March 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quoting the current and expected salary with Internal Auditor – Nairobi on the email subject line
KANCO is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against: color, race, nationality, ethnicity, religion or belief, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, HIV/AIDS Status, and disability.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted