Energy Program Manager Job, Kenyan NGO Vacancies 2022,
About Mercy Corps Energy 4 Impact
Energy 4 Impact is Mercy Corps’ energy access platform, working to improve the lives of millions across the poorest and most fragile regions of the world through access to clean energy. Mercy Corps is powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The program manager will be a senior member of the Mercy Corps – Energy 4 Impact programs and advisory team and will oversee the planning, budgeting, implementation, monitoring and reporting of specific projects for which he/she is responsible. He/she will also provide energy engineering advice to country programs and consultancy services to our SME clients, including solar PV system companies, mini-grid developers and productive use businesses.
- Provide technical and managerial support to team members towards project delivery and professional development.
- Be a champion for the mission, vision and values of Mercy Corps.
- Promote and encourage a transparent, cohesive and ethical work culture.
- Manage the implementation of project activities according to the objectives, indicators, work plan and approved budget including, staffing, budgeting and internal/external reporting
- Ensure regular and proper project documentation and reporting according to donor and Mercy Corps standards, rules & regulations
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders including local partners, county governments, private sector firms, NGOs, financial institutions, potential donors and other institutional and research partners
- Provide technical support to team members and ensure compliance with Mercy Corps policies and procedures
- Provide technical advice to early and later stage SMEs, including stand-alone solar appliance suppliers, mini-grid developers, solar home system companies and others.
Responsible for supervising project teams on assigned projects
Reports Directly To: Global Head of Advisory
Works Directly With: Regional Heads of Programs, Senior Management Team members, Analysts, Suppliers and Sub-contractors
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science, Engineering, Business, Economics, Finance, or related degree. MA/S is advantageous.
- At least 5 – 7 years’ experience implementing donor funded projects
- Experience working with small businesses and/or energy SMEs and/or an understanding of renewable energy technologies and business models
- Experience in project development, financing, operation and maintenance of distributed solar energy systems
- Excellent organisation and project management skills. Ability to manage multiple programmes and client engagements, meet deadlines and allocate resources effectively
- Strong financial management skills with proven experience managing large budgets.
- Strong skills in developing accurate and timely reports to donors.
- High level of interpersonal skills and comfortable collaborating with senior level colleagues, SMEs, public agencies, and other stakeholders. Track record managing a diverse mix of professionals and different cultures.
- Superior communication skills, both verbal and written, and good oral presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively represent Mercy Corps and its interests to key stakeholders; proven ability to develop partnerships and effective relationships with industry stakeholders including SMEs, investors, donors, and other stakeholders.
Attention to detail, ability to multitask, persuade and influence staff and stakeholders, program management and people management experience
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Nairobi, Kenya and requires significant travel to project sites
In support of our belief that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities we serve, we empower all team members to dedicate 5% of their time to learning activities that further their personal and/or professional growth and development
Equal Employment Opportunity
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity employer that does not tolerate discrimination on any basis. We actively seek out diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be collectively stronger and have sustained global impact.
How to Apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Mercy Corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process.