Job Vacancy: Senior Technical Manager
Job Location: Nairobi with frequent travel to Turkana and Samburu Counties
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse and every team member feels that they belong.
We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
With funding from USAID’s Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA), Mercy Corps’ Nawiri Program is leading a consortium of Kenyan and international partners on a five-year journey to sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition in Turkana and Samburu Counties of Kenya.
Through a phased approach that emphasizes evidence gap analysis, as well as partnership, learning, and co-creation, the program takes a robust county-centered design with government leadership, active engagement from communities, the private sector, and civil society.
Mercy Corps’ consortium brings together global leadership, research capacity, technical expertise, and implementation experience to partner with local institutions to test, adapt, and scale evidence-based solutions to sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition for vulnerable populations in Turkana and Samburu counties.
Together we will sustainably reduce persistent acute malnutrition for vulnerable populations in Turkana and Samburu counties.
The role of the Senior Technical Manager is to lead and supervise a technical team and, in collaboration with the technical Director and DCOP, oversee and steer design and implementation of a coherent technical strategy.
The Senior Technical Manager is responsible for managing the technical team and providing support to design robust technical program strategies utilizing evidence and learnings developed in the research phase of USAID Nawiri.
S/he must ensure integration of diverse technical sectors for the specific goal of sustainably reducing persistent acute malnutrition below emergency threshold levels.
The Senior Technical Manager will lead coordination and collaboration of technical experts in water systems, climate smart agriculture, environment, alternative livelihoods & inclusive markets, financial inclusion, socio-economic, as well as resilience for the benefit of over one million vulnerable people in Turkana and Samburu.
In addition to providing technical direction for the project, they will bring both the technical and functional skills required to manage USAID Nawiri’s technical advisors while providing nutrition specific technical support.
They will also work closely with wider technical functions to ensure gender and social inclusion, social behavior change and resilience are fully integrated and addressed across program strategies.
She/he will integrate a systems approach and sustainability in all strategies and approaches towards nutrition resilience.
S/he will lead their team to deliver on high quality program design and implementation, including through transferring knowledge and building skills in ways that build the capacity of field teams to deliver program and practice excellence.
The Senior Technical Manager also ensures the team is guiding USAID Nawiri’s best practices in the field and is committed to interpreting results while being open to change.
In addition to direct oversight of select technical staff, s/he will seek out opportunities, promote cross team coherence on the theory that the complex problems USAID Nawiri seeks to address are, by definition, multi sectoral in nature and require shared solutions across sectors and systems.
By working with composite teams and providing strategic engagement on technical matters, the Senior Technical Manager will deliver coherence and clarity of approach across the entire consortium.
Working across all program areas, and supporting the Technical Director, s/he will ensure that the USAID Nawiri team is analyzing emergent findings and routinely iterating to build a robust evidence base for informing strategic investments that drive nutrition outcomes.
The Senior Technical Manager will also coordinate with other organizations and donors to ensure the best practices and learning from other initiatives are integrated in the USAID Nawiri Program.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
- Master’s degree or equivalent experience in a relevant field such as nutrition, public health, food security, etc.
- At least five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the successful implementation of integrated health or nutrition activities working on programs of a similar scope and scale, with preference given to integrated nutrition programs. At least two (2) years must be in program management, including direct supervision of technical and support staff.
- Direct experience in planning, implementing and measuring the impact of health, nutrition, behavior change, hunger reduction or other related program.
- Demonstrated systems thinker and ability to think outside of the box in the implementation of a unique program with experience in adaptive management and using research as part of program implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a wide range of stakeholders, and to liaise with donors and remote HQ teams.
- Demonstrated experience managing multi-organization teams and managing partners is required.
- Demonstrated strong leadership and teambuilding skills; ability to work effectively in a team which includes remote members, often with limited supervision and under pressure.
- Ability to mentor others and model successful management techniques and approaches.
- Experience with participatory assessment methodologies a plus.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Strong budget management experience is required.
- Prior experience in designing, implementing or managing implementation research strongly preferred.
- Prior experience of working on USAID-funded programs strongly preferred.
- Previous experience working in the ASALs of Kenya strongly preferred.
- Essential computer literacy and capacity to work with MS Office applications.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently by road and flight to the northern arid lands including remote communities (estimated 50% of the time) sometimes at short notice.
The successful Senior Technical Manager must be a self-starter who demonstrates leadership in technical management/supervision, communications, partnership development, and team management.
Multi-tasking with proven ability to manage competing priorities, follow procedures, and meet deadlines is required. The position manages their team to have an impact on program quality, overall strategy and thought leadership.
The Manager leads and nurtures individual team member development and works effectively with different work styles.
The position must communicate and work with a variety of external groups including private sector partners, peer agencies, academic institutions, and donors.
The Senior Technical Manager is flexible and creative in planning and problem solving, and has a proven ability to learn quickly, take initiative and be accountable for results.
The person will have the vision and drive to lead initiatives that are more than program development, that demonstrate understanding for the larger picture while remaining focused on and able to handle the details. Be open to learning, adaptations and must be culturally sensitive.
For the detailed position description and application procedure please visit the following link: https://bit.ly/3qIMcht.
Applications should be submitted on or before 30th Nov 2021 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Mercy Corps does not charge any fees at any stage of the recruitment process