PBI Administrative and Finance Support Officer Job in Nairobi 2019
Peace Brigades International (PBI)
Position: Local Administrative and Finance Support Officer
Dates: Mid-March 2019 to mid-March 2020
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Hours: x2,5 days per week
Remuneration: Competitive NGO salary
Contract: Fixed Term staff (12 months)
Main purpose of the role: The main role of the Local Administrative and Finance Support Officer is to provide all PBI-Kenya administrative management in the areas of finances, accounting (bookkeeping) and tax preparation, office administration, and fulfil local legal and human resources requirements.
Position in the organisation: Directly reporting to the Country Director of PBI-Kenya, this position will be responsible for the day-to-day in country finance and office administration for PBI-Kenya.
Organisation overview: Peace Brigades International (PBI) is a non-governmental organisation, which protects human rights and promotes nonviolent conflict transformation. We provide protection, capacity development and other support for threatened organisations, defenders and communities pursuing social justice and defence of human rights in areas of violent conflict. Our current field projects are in Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, Kenya, Indonesia, Mexico and Nepal.
PBI project work is supported by a network of 13 country groups in Europe, North America and Australia, who carry out volunteer recruitment, advocacy and fundraising, and by the international coordinating office. PBI uses a non-hierarchical model of organising and decisions are made by consensus.
Since 2018, PBI–Kenya is registered under section 10 of the Non-Governmental Organizations Co-ordination Act in Kenya, with full legal powers as local employer organization, to contract staff and to work as a Human Rights organization.
- Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, donations processing and receipts, expenditure and all financial records in Quickbooks or similar accountancy software
- Data entry and bank reconciliations
- Tax preparation of all types (organizational, payroll, medical and any other applicable admin in Kenya, for both organization and personnel purposes)
- Supporting the management of bank operations, as bank transactions, wire transfers and keeping track of signing authorities
Finances and Accounting
- Assist the Project to fulfill compliance with government regulations
- Maintaining documentation and records in line with grant management requirements
- Make payments and reimbursements, according to project expenditure policy
- Assist in the preparation and distribution of month-end income and expenditure reports, cash flow projections and other financial reports
- Assist in the preparation for the annual external examination of accounts
- Assure the office is maintained and well-kept according to Project needs
- Assist project staff and program coordinators with local legal human resource requirements, as personnel filing, documentation, recruitment processes and others.
Essential Qualifications / Person Specification
- Financial qualification such as CA, CGA, CMA or comparable designation status.
- Financial Administration skills acquired through a post secondary diploma / degree in accounting/business administration and/or 3-5 years related work experience.
- Good computer skills in Microsoft Office (especially Excel) & financial software.
Experience with accounting software.
- Knowledge of accounting procedures and protocols, budget administration and financial forecasting, analysis and reporting
- Experience working in an international non-governmental organization
- Knowledge of international accounting standards
- Knowledge and experience in Kenyan legal human resource requirements for staff
- Good organisation skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent teamwork in a diverse program and ability to work independently and under pressure.
- Good time management/ multitasking skills.
- Strong analytical and mathematical aptitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Ability to work in a non-hierarchical organisation and use consensus decision-making
The position would suit an individual who is proactive, detail-oriented, shows initiative, and enjoys working with a small international team.
Experience in the non-profit sector and with financial reporting to governments is desirable.
To apply please send your completed application form to David Ávila on PBIKenyaemail@example.com
You should indicate, point by point, how you meet the requirements set out in the person specification.
Please add names of three referees, including their current contact details
We regret that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Deadline: March 5, 2019