Procurement Officer Jobs, Procurement Jobs in Kenya, UN Jobs
This position is located in the Procurement Section of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS). The Procurement Officer will be based in Nairobi and reports to the Chief Procurement Officer.
Within delegated authority and under the overall supervision of Chief, Supply Chain Management and direct supervision of Chief, Procurement Officer, the Procurement Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Serves as a senior procurement and contracting expert with responsibility for the world-wide procurement of a wide variety of supplies and service associated with highly complex (technical and legally) contracts and procurement activities; may lead procurement work for a segment of a central large peace-keeping program;
- Provide technical advice on procurement activities to officials of substantive units during all phases of the procurement cycle;
- Analyzes and evaluates procurement requests and ensure appropriateness of technical specifications;
- Develops and prepares highly complex contracts for procurement of non-routine and technologically advanced commodities or long-range services; issues international tender invitations; evaluates responses to tender, and makes recommendations for finalization of purchases and award of contracts; signs procurement orders up to the authorized limit, and, in cases where the amount exceeds authorized limits, prepares submissions to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official;
- Develops new tactical approaches to contracts, as well as new method for their applications, based on market research;
- Contributes to development of institutional procurement policies and procedures; develops standards and criteria for the evaluation of goods, services, supplier capacity, etc.;
- Maintains under constant examination production patterns in exporting countries; evaluate the productive capacities and performance of manufacturer to identify supply sources;
- Establishes approaches for negotiations and conducts or coordinates all phase of negotiations with all concerned parties, including the negotiation of dispute arising from contracts;
- May carry out consultancy missions to the field;
- Provides direction and guidance to more junior staff.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
- Knowledge of administrative, budgetary, financial and human resources policies and procedures.
- Ability to apply various United Nations administrative rules and regulations in work situations. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis.
- Ability to identify issues, formulate opinions, make conclusions and recommendations.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements;
- demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter;
- is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns;
- shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- identifies priority activities and assignments;
- adjusts priorities as required;
- allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning;
- monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively;
- listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication;
- tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience;
- demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, public administration, commerce, engineering, law or a related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Recognized qualification in procurement and contracting is desirable and an advantage.
- A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, administration or related area is required.
- Experience in large and complex procurement in Peacekeeping Operations is desirable.
- Experience in working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system in the area of purchasing and/or supply chain is an asset.
How To Apply
Posting Period:14 January 2020 – 27 January 2020
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.