Deputy Director – Project Management Unit / Cross-Cutting Unit
East Africa Energy Program (EAEP)
Position Summary: RTI is recruiting for the East Africa Energy Program (EAEP) whose objective is to improve performance of the power sector in Kenya, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania, and up to six more countries.
The project headquarters is in Nairobi with additional offices in Addis Ababa (Ethiopia), Kigali (Rwanda), and Dar es Salam (Tanzania). The project focuses on electrical utility performance, increasing on-grid connections, increasing regional integration through the East Africa Power Pool, and improving national project planning and delivery. RTI’s work began in December 2018 and will conclude December 2022.
The Deputy Director of the Project Management Unit (PMU) will support the Director of the PMU in overseeing and managing all administrative, logistic, and financial aspects of the program. This position will also support the integration of cross-cutting services into the technical delivery of the program. These services include monitoring and evaluation, training and capacity building, gender, environment and community engagement.
The role requires not only administrative, logistics, finance, and operational skills but extremely strong management, representational, diplomatic, and client skills. Technical experience implementing USAID programs is highly desired.
The position reports directly to the Senior Director of the PMU in Nairobi.
This role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Ethiopia is strongly preferred: if based in Addis Ababa the Deputy Director of the PMU will also take on office management responsibilities.
- Support the Senior Director in the PMU in the admin, finance, and support team covering finance, contracting, HR, procurement, office management, administration, accounting and communications.
- Likely direct oversight of one or more cross-cutting team functions (e.g. monitoring & evaluation, gender, community engagement, environment and training/capacity building).
- Ensure adherence to RTI and USAID administration policies and procedures.
- Support activity development with technical team members;
- Support subcontracting to local partners through SOW development and supporting the subcontracting process;
- Prepare, aggregate and analyze information for technical reports; liaise with the project’s technical writer;
- Support delivery of talking points for USAID mission counterparts related to technical work implemented at the country level
- Support client requests for communication in different channels and differing media; map stakeholders.
- Act as second-in-charge of the PMU, able to respond to multiple client requests while maintaining strong oversight of the unit.
- Minimum of Master’s degree in business, monitoring and evaluation, financing, economics, or a related field;
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in management positions, with 5 years direct international work experience in developing countries;
- Strong representational skills
- Prior experience managing administration / operations for large-scale USAID programs;
- Demonstrated knowledge, skills, and/or experiences in monitoring and evaluation, training and capacity building, and other cross-cutting project services, such as environment, gender, community engagement and communications.
- Demonstrated experience in office management;
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills;
- Demonstrated skills, abilities, and experiences to manage sub-contracts;
- Demonstrated skill, ability and experience in managing staff members in multiple locations preferred;
- Excellent verbal and written English communications skills to be used in frequent, written reports.
Skills and abilities
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work well with others
- Ability to listen and communicate well both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently
- Attention to detail and accuracy
Interested candidates should CLICK HERE to submit a cover letter and curriculum vitae by 1st February 2020 by 5.00 p.m.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
RTI International is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
*No applicant will ever be asked for any payment either to secure a role with RTI International or as a follow-up to having been awarded a position with RTI International. If anyone ever approaches you asking for any such payment, please immediately email email@example.com