Senior Big Data Programme Officer Jobs, IT Jobs in Kenya, UNOPS Jobs
The United Nations Support Office for Somalia (UNSOS) is mandated to provide administrative and logistics support to its partners in implementing the United Nations Security council resolution on Somalia.
The incumbent will work under the guidance of the Innovation and Technology Unit of the Field Technology Section of UNSOS. The Big Data Analytics and Digital Media Support project team serves as the primary focal point for the Mission’s Big Data analytics and Digital Media engagement to benefit AMISOM and UNSOM. The team will determine and establish mechanisms for developing substantive multi-dimensional data sets and other relevant digital information. The team will cultivate abstract data, operational data, survey data, geospatial data and other forms of media content and employ machine learning algorithm as necessary to decipher key indicators, both internal and external, that may impact the Somali society vis a vis the concurrent mandates of the African Union and the United Nations in the country.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in UNSOS. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the Senior Big Data Programme Officer will be administratively reporting to Senior Manager – Business Systems and operationally work under the guidance of the Chief of Innovation and Technology Unit of the Field Technology Section of UNSOS and will be responsible for the following duties:
- Participates in the preparation of concise analytical reports and related products.
- Conceptualizes, designs and implements a data analytics, social media and hate speech monitoring plan using a variety of analytics tools such as Talkwalker, Meltwater, as well as various social media analysis techniques (sentiment analysis, data mining processes etc.).
- Reviews existing data collection and monitoring processes and develops process improvements to enhance overall data quality, credibility and reliability by leveraging social media analytics tools to monitor social channels and online media to generate monitoring reports.
- Conducts research into the capabilities of various data collection and analytics platforms and social media monitoring tools.
- Provides guidance on data visualization and visual design materials. Produces and coordinates communications materials including data dashboards, maps, graphs, charts, infographics and related digital media content.
- Builds on the Missions strategic approach to Big Data analysis vis a vis the Somali Partnership Forum goals/resolutions; regularly analyses and extract actionable insights from data and curate insights relevant to Somali citizens and the Somalia Transitional Plan.
- Quantitative analysis of media monitoring, social media and hate speech monitoring (engagement, influencers, location, sentiment, reach, etc)
- Uses Big Data insights to support and inform the digital communication strategy.
- Ensures measurement of digital communication campaigns performance (obtain data to improve future digital communication campaigns,)
- Develops operational guidelines, protocols and templates on Big Data and results management.
- Keeps abreast of innovation, trends and emerging applications of digital technologies so as to support their testing and scaling in the Mission.
- Performs other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above
The result of work of the Senior Big Data Programme Officer impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of UNSOS as well as the performance of the services implemented there. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
- Advanced University Degree (Masters or equivalent) in Information Systems, Computer Science, Management, Business Administration, Statistics, Engineering or another related field,
- A first level university degree with additional two years of relevant experience maybe accepted in lieu of advanced degree.
- A minimum of five years of progressive professional experience in Information Systems or Analytics areas.
- A minimum of two years of professional progressive experience in dealing with Big Data projects/products.
- A minimum of one year of professional experience on project management.
- Experience working with globally-dispersed project teams and working in a multi-project environment.
- Experience in drafting and implementing big data business and use cases.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat;
- For this position, fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an advantage.
How To Apply