ACADEMIC, RESEARCH, AND STUDENTS AFFAIRS DIVISION
SCHOOL OF ENGINEERING AND TECHNOLOGY
2. SENIOR LECTURER GRADE 13 – MECHANICAL ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT:
SEKU/ADV/AC/2/5/2022 (1 POSITION) (RE-ADVERTISEMENT)
Duties and responsibilities of a Senior Lecturer Grade 13:
1. Lecturing in area of specialization in accordance with the syllabus;
2. Coordinating course projects and practical work;
3. Preparing teaching/learning materials;
4. Develop fundable research proposals that can attract grants from internal and external donors.
5. Conduct research in collaboration with local, regional and international collaborators in order to tackle different issues in the society.
6. Disseminate research findings through publication of journals to share findings and knowledge to the public
7. Train, mentor, supervise and evaluate students carrying out research to ensure the quality of research submitted is up to standards.
8. Review research and academic journals in the university to ensure they can attract grants.
9. Give consultancy services to participate in problem solving and development of society at large.
10. Acquire patents from innovations to protect knowledge and ensure proper benefits to the innovators.
11. Liaise with teaching, technical and administrative staff to enhance and monitor quality course delivery.
12. Develop adaptable teaching delivery models to ensure that learning is effective and continuous.
13. Examine students to test understanding of learned concepts and allow progression from one level to another.
14. Identify required resource materials such as books to enhance quality teaching.
15. Develop practical modules/manuals in line with developed curriculum to enhance practical applications of learned concepts.
16. Review and update course content, materials and curricula regularly.
17. Initiate community participatory development projects and activities that benefit the university as well as the community at large.
18. Show case innovations of the university during community exhibitions.
19. Establish linkages and networks with external stakeholders that can fund project research in the university.
Requirements for appointment:
For appointment to this position, one must:
1. Have an earned PhD or equivalent degree qualification in any area of Engineering from recognized/accredited university.
2. Have at least three (3) years of teaching experience at university level as a lecturer or six (6) years research/industry experience.
3. Have a minimum of thirty-two (32) publication points as a lecturer or equivalent, of which at least twenty-four (24) should be from refereed scholarly journals.
4. Have supervised at least three (3) postgraduate students to completion as a Lecturer Grade 12 or equivalent.
5. Have attracted research funds as a lecturer Grade 12 or equivalent.
6. Be registered with Engineers Board of Kenya and with a valid membership certificate
7. Satisfy the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya on Leadership and Integrity.
NB: PUBLICATION POINTS:
a. One university level scholarly book = 24 publication points;
b. Patented invention or innovation = 16 publications points;
c. One tertiary level scholarly book = 8 publication points;
d. One article in a refereed journal = 8 publication points;
e. Refereed learning modules = 6 publication points;
f. One chapter in a university level scholarly book = 6 publication points;
g. One reviewed conference paper = 4 publication points;
h. One secondary school level text book = 4 publication points;
i. Short communication in refereed journal = 4 publication points;
j. Consultancy and project reports = 4 publication points;
k. Refereed exhibitions and performances = 4 publication points;
l. One primary level primary book = 2 publication points;
m. Editorship of a book or conference proceedings = 2 publication points;
n. Scholarly presentations at conferences/workshops/seminars= 2 publication points;
o. One non-reviewed conference paper = 2 publication points.
p. Book review published in refereed journals = 1publication point.
Applicants must submit ten (10) copies of applications giving details of their educational and professional qualifications, age, detailed work experience, present post and salary, applicant’s telephone number and e-mail address. Enclose certified copies of certificates and testimonials and giving names and addresses of three (3) referees who are knowledgeable about the applicant’s competence and area of specialization, accompanied with detailed Curriculum Vitae and a copy of the most recent pay slip.
Interested applicants should send the applications to the address below, quoting the relevant reference number, so as to be received on or before Friday, 27th May, 2022.
The Deputy Vice-Chancellor,
Administration and Human Resource Management
South Eastern Kenya University
P.O. BOX 170-90200,
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
SEKU is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates and persons living with disabilities are encouraged to apply.