African Trade Insurance Agency (ATI)
The African Trade Insurance Agency (ATI) is a pan-African multilateral financial institution established in 2001 by African States.
ATI was originally launched with the technical and financial support from the World Bank Group and has had more recent support from the African Development Bank.
ATI has grown into a market leader for risk mitigation in Africa, establishing itself as Africa’s primary trade and investment insurer and one of Africa’s largest Development Finance Institutions with an outstanding portfolio exceeding US$6bn at year end 2019.
ATI provides political and credit risk insurance to companies, investors and lenders doing business in Africa.
For over a decade, ATI has maintained an A rating for Financial Strength and Counterparty Credit by Standard & Poor’s, and in 2019 obtained a second A3/Stable rating from Moody’s.
ATI’s membership includes African Member States as well as a number of corporate and institutional shareholders.
Besides its head office in Nairobi, ATI currently has offices in Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
Working at ATI offers unique career opportunities. Candidates are invited to apply for the following open position:
All positions will be initially based in Nairobi, Kenya however we envisage some of the Underwriting staff will move to West Africa.
Under the supervision of, and reporting to the Chief Underwriting Officer (CUO), your functions and duties shall be as follows:
- Lead, guide, manage and coach the underwriters
- Monitor and ensure optimal resource allocation amongst the underwriters
- Monitor the performance of Underwriters in accordance with the ATI Staff Policy Manual
- Assist the CUO in the production of reports as and when required
- Generate business through marketing activities and increasing the visibility of ATI. This involves meeting one-on-one with clients and prospects and attending different marketing events organized by ATI or ATI’s business partners
- Assist to organize/manage awareness events in countries of responsibility
- Screening business enquiries based on eligibility criteria;
- Assess the risks of the proposed transactions and produce a report of the risk to convince approvers to accept the risk;
- Issue non-binding/indicative term sheets
- Arrange reinsurance for transactions requiring reinsurance support
- Preparation of policy documents
- Educating policy holders on the A-Z of the policy they are about to sign
- Managing and monitoring the underwritten risk – Support and guide the Post Contract Management Officer
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the CUO from time to time
Your key internal relationships are with the credit, finance, marketing and procurement departments while externally you will have contacts with brokers, banks, insurance companies, reinsurance companies, corporate clients and governments.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- An advanced degree in Economics, Business Administration, or related area
- A thorough technical expertise and underwriting experience in commercial and political risk insurance, surety bond and banking products
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in project finance, banking, finance and insurance with at least 3 years’ experience in a leadership or supervisory role
- A sound understanding of reinsurance markets and mechanisms
- International experience in ATI member States and/or countries with a similar profile
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Proficiency in MS Office suite of packages
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Operational French is a major advantage
Qualifications, Experience and other Attributes
The successful candidates must have suitable qualifications, experience and attributes as indicated above.
All the roles require excellent communications skills in written and spoken English.
Knowledge of French and an ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
i) Please submit an Application Letter, Personal History Form (downloaded from the ATI website HERE), CV, plus details of your current remuneration package along with details of three referees to
ii) The closing date for application is 07th February 2020 at Midnight Nairobi time
iii) ATI will only contact those applicants who are being actively considered for an interview
ATI offers a competitive salary and benefits package and a collegial working environment commensurate with other multilaterals.
ATI reserves the right to not make an appointment to the above vacancies, or to make an appointment at a slightly higher or lower grade, or to make an appointment with a modified job description.